It's late Tuesday and I am finally emerging from my Monday lupus treatments, and I am happy to report that this was the last week. Oh yeah baby, done two weeks early. I've met all my markers and I am in remission. I wish that meant that I would feel wonderful instantaneously, but it will take a few more weeks for me to completely regain my strength and energy. I soooooo hope this remission lasts for a long, long time. I still have to take maintenance meds, monitor my health, make good decisions, and stay out of the sun, be smart etc....., but that sounds so much better to me right now. It's manageable. I am so grateful to put this phase behind me and once again be able to take care of myself and my family without so much help. I am so blessed to be surrounded by such good friends and a church family. I mean these women, and their families, hit the ball out of the park and literally helped me with everything from laundry, shopping, meals, play dates and lunch dates for the kids, homework with the kids, child care for my Sean Patrick, housework, rides to church for my littles, covering my calling for me which is no small ordeal, and literally the list could go on forever. I've given such broad examples but the help received was very detailed and specific. Every little need was covered, and I surely could never adequately express my gratitude.
Aside from the physical needs like clean clothes and prepared meals, my emotional and spiritual needs were not forgotten either. It's the little things that people sometimes overlook or don't do because they feel it won't really make a huge difference. Don't ever believe that the little stuff doesn't matter. It does have a great impact and it is a blessing or maybe even and answer to a prayer. A prayer or two or three, sometimes you just need to pray a bunch.
For me the little stuff was things like the book handed to me at church just in case I needed something to do during my time on the sofa resting, the hand-written card with a message of hope and support, the phone call to see if I needed milk or bread, a hug when I was frustrated and needed some hope and perspective, an email sharing a link to a song or your favorite quote or scripture, a text as simple as this, "I <3 U! :)," a comment on my blog, a post on my facebook wall, a plate of brownies, chocolate Easter bunnies, the validation that it's okay to cry and fall apart sometimes, flowers, or a reassurance that I'm in your thoughts and prayers.
To wrap things up, may I offer a bit of advice that you may take or leave. Your choice. One of the things having lupus has taught me is that not every thing is as it seems. There have been many times when people don't realize my battle with lupus because I don't look sick. Even in middle of this treatment when I am really struggling and feeling nauseated, exhausted and overall awful, most people would never guess on a Sunday morning that I've spent two-thirds of my previous week glued to my sofa completely wiped out. It's a double-edged sword to look okay when you don't feel okay.
I like many others have learned to accept my disease, inadequacies, and heartaches and mask my pain beneath a smile. You don't need lupus to learn how to do that. I will tell you I'm okay even if I'm not. I haven't mastered the fine art of saying no even when I know that I should. (Many people haven't learned to accept another's "no" and not judge, take offense, or take it personally. Sad, but true.) I have a "pull myself up by the boot straps" attitude and will just get stuff done at the expense of my health and common sense. My advice is this, just because someone looks or seems alright, appears to be happy or seems to have it all "together" doesn't mean that it's true, "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle" ~Unknown



3 comments:
Jenn- you are amazing. You are my example and I think about you all the time. This is the best news I've heard all day! I'm so happy for you (and your family). I too hope it lasts for a long long time. God bless you!
Jenn, I am happy for you that you are in remission! You are one tough cookie! I am also glad that you have such a wonderful support network where you live. Isn't it wonderful? I love the quote at the end of this post. I'll be praying for you!
When I read the quote below by Elder Bednar given at BYU Women's Conference in April, the theme of which came from Alma 37:6-7, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass," I thought of you and what you said in this post about how the little things can have a great impact.
"We should find great comfort in the fact that ordinary people who faithfully, diligently and consistently do simple things that are right before God will bring forth extraordinary results." ~ Elder Bednar
Love you, Jenn. Glad these treatments are behind you! And I am grateful to your friends and ward family who helped you through it all.
Post a Comment