
Today I had another dose of how retarded the progressive state of MA can be. While out shopping with a friend today, and our two little boys, I was pulled over by a police officer. It was actually one of the first times that I truly had no idea what I had been pulled over for. Turns out my license plate had expired on the last day of October, six days ago.
I really had totally not realized that was the case, and promptly told the officer that I was sorry and I would go online when I got home today and register it straight away. Oh no, things can never be that easy in MA. Turns out there is no "grace" period for expired registrations, and your car must be towed immediately. I was shocked.
What a mess! Bill is still out-of-town, the two boys were crying, and I certainly tried to talk my way out of it explaining that we were unable to find someone to pick us up, that the boys didn't have car seats because they were strapped in the car seats that our mini van comes equipped with complicating the transport of the kids legally without the van, but no he would not budge. So my van got towed. The officer insisted that it wasn't his problem if we didn't have a ride or car seats for the kids, tough break kid, but he wasn't going to be helpful at all. So, he gave me my paperwork and left us on our own. Mercy.
I did inform him that I would just strap the boys in the next car without the proper seat belts because what other choice did I have. I think we were both shocked that I had just admitted that to an officer of the law. He did so kindly stop traffic for us to cross the street to wait inside of a warm Burger King with the kids until we found transportation. At this point I was so frustrated and mad that I was hoping he would come ticket me for the kids being out of car seats when our ride came, but after 10 or 15 minutes of just hanging out across the street he finally left. I like that I got towed for breaking one law, unknowingly, just to be left to break another law with complete knowledge. Hmmmm?
Luckily Bill comes home tomorrow some time, but the van has to sit in impound until Monday when the registry of motor vehicles opens again at 9 AM. No weekend hours available. Logistically, retrieving the van today with the necessary paperwork, was not an option. Total bummer. This is gonna cost me a pretty penny. Even the online payment option was unavailable because the system was down. Rude.
On one hand, I respected the jerky officer because he was just doing his job, but on the other hand, I kept thinking this makes no sense. This is a growing complaint of mine with some laws, regulations, the legislative process, politics, and such, where is the common sense? I mean come on. You have not even one day of tolerance to extend for an expired registration, but you want me to extend tolerance to higher taxes, gay marriage, and a wide host of other "hot" topics that I generally don't agree with. I just have to take it both ways. Really? I won't even get started on the what ifs of knowing someone on the police force, city government, or maybe even a local judge that my 6 day oversight would have been looked over and my car may just be in my driveway tonight "if" I had some sort of connection. That never happens though, right?
So, there you have it. My rant about stuff. Otherwise, I had a great day. My Shannon is finally back in school after a little battle with the piggy flu, I bought myself new dishes on my birthday (last night) right before I stuffed myself at the Olive Garden with a close friend (BTW, I stuffed myself with food at the Olive Garden....not stuffed myself with a close friend. Ewwwww!), and I had a relatively good day in spite of my little run in with the law. Well, there's nothing to do about it now. It is what it is!



3 comments:
Oh, Jenn, MERCY, indeed!!! I guess things have changed since I lost control of my car in Carlisle, MA and drove into the guard rail, hitting the cement posts like dominos. The nice police office helped me scoop up all the cupcakes that I was driving to Scout Camp, load them into the police cruiser, and then drove me and the cupcakes to the police station to await my ride.
Can't you complain to his superior? That sounds like a worthy complaint.
I can't believe he left two moms stranded without a ride home. Honestly, he could have driven you home himself (but gosh, he probably didn't want to get caught transporting kids without car seats...). I'm sure you and your friend looked too "shady" to give a mere warning to.
Jenn was filling me in on your situation. I'm not at all surprised by your story because it happened in Westfield. I am NOT fond of Westfield myself. I have a few stories of my own. Apparently I attract the not-to-helpful kinds myself. So sorry to hear about your situation!!!!
Post a Comment