Erin helped Sean up a couple of little steps provided for the children to be able to be seen while standing at the podium so he could recite his scripture. He went up the stairs, looked at all the people, and announced that he was too short to do his part. He went back to his seat while the primary room laughed at his comment. Sean must has thought this was funny too because he again made sure to voice that he was too short. Erin said his scripture for him....such a good big sister she is!
After church the story of Sean being too short was told to our family several times. You just gotta love little sunbeams, the name given to the class of three year olds at our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They say and do the silliest things. So all day yesterday when we would ask Sean to do something, he would say "I'm too short!" I have to admit that I coached him to say it a few times too because I think it is cute.
This morning after my routine of scripture study and prayer, I was quietly sitting thinking about my day, my studies, my children, etc, and I drifted back to Sean's little, no short pun intended, experience in primary. Yesterday I thought the story was cute and funny, and today I realized that even though it is and was cute and funny, it is more than that too! Much more than that!
How often we are given a responsibility , a goal, or an assignment, and we accept it, take those first few proverbial steps, just as Sean did, stare out at the people before us or the task ahead of us, and declare that we are too short for the job? Not short as in how tall we are, but short on time, short on talent, short on skills or abilities, short on faith too perhaps. Yes, we think we are too short. I've done it before, I'm sad to say. Perhaps you have too.
Today, I was reminded that Christ makes up the difference for all no matter how we feel we measure up. No matter how short we feel, how far we think we are from the mark, or how we can't possibly ever imagine a way to be at that necessary point, it doesn't matter because through Christ all things are possible. All things, even those things that make us stretch until we think we may snap in two. All things, not just some things, ALL things are possible through Christ.
One day I hope my little Sean learns that it's alright to be short, in every sense and definition of the word, but that being short shouldn't be the reason/excuse for not doing or at the very least trying to do whatever it is that is set before him, or us either. To think I was reminded of all that from a little short sunbeam.
(I love that pic of Sean playing in the rain. Yes, I know he is still in his jammies. It was that kind of a day!)



2 comments:
LOL!! Sean is SO funny!! It never ceases to amaze me...the things kids come up with! I am remembering the many times I have been given assignments in my life, and I felt "too short"! Oh the pain of stretching and growing into it!
I think Sean looks a little bit like his Uncle Neil in the picture.
Jenn
after reading your post I went to your blog and looked at some of your pictures. I do remember you and your sister and brother. Neil was my brother Val's age. That is very sweet that you still have the book of mormon from mo-mo dorthy, she is such a sweet woman. after i read your post i called my mom and told her to go look at your blog, of course she remembers you a lot more than i do. good to hear from you. isn't it a small world that we can find each other again.
Alicia Throckmorton Ortiz
Post a Comment