Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mining at Quechee Gorge in VT

I'll be the fist to admit that this post is all about a tourist trap, but it was one that my kids loved and we'll probably do it again next summer. Inside the Quechee Gorge Gift shop you could buy various bags of sand that were guaranteed to include fossils, rocks, crystals, and/or arrowheads in each bag. The bigger the bag the more expensive, but the more treasures were waiting to be discovered.
Outside there was a sluice. (A fancy word for a device that controls the flow of water.) You would then dump the contents of your bag into a screen bottom box and dunk it in the sluice to wash away all the stuff you didn't want, just like panning for gold. (I've always thought that would be fun to try!) At first Shannon was the only one who wanted a bag. Erin, typical of her style and personality, didn't want one because she didn't know "exactly" what was in the bag and was a bit skeptical. But after seeing all the stuff Shan found, she relented and got her own bag and joined in the process.
Both girls walked away with lots and lots of fun new additions to add to their collection and display in their room. I purchased an old printer's tray at an antique show this summer, you may recall. The girls decided they wanted to paint it purple. (Not my first choice....or second or third, but it was their decision.) So, I totally ruined it's antique value and spray painted it purple. (My girls are more important to me than the value or color of an antique tray.) I actually like the way it turned out, and they are happy little clams.

2 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. And the tray looks way cool.

Jean said...

We have been trapped into one of these before also!! It was in "gold country" in California. All that glitters is not gold, but; making our children happy is golden. I love the colored box!! Maybe we can find more this fall, and get a bargain for 2 :o)