Monday, August 9, 2010

Mount Greylock

A couple of weeks ago the kids, Bill and I went to the highest peak in MA at 3,491 feet, Mount Greylock, which is a part of MA's first wilderness state park acquired in 1898. The view was spectacular, 60-90 miles of visibility I've read, overlooking the Berkshire Mountains. Even better yet you can drive right to the top and visit the Massachusetts Veterans War Memorial Tower, which was built in 1932. The Appalachian Trail runs right over the peak too with an emergency shelter available for hikers.
Bill, the crazy wonderful man that I married, rode his bike to the top of Mount Greylock while we were in IL. An hour an fifteen minutes of pure pain and torture..... the climb started after the 20+ mile bike ride he took to the base of the mountain. (I'm still wondering why anyone would really want to do that......just because?!!!) It's the challenge of it I hear, but I will never know for myself. HA!
This is what the road looks like from Bill's perspective.

You really need to go there yourself to see how truly steep the road is, especially from the North Adams side, and how insanely difficult it would be to ride a bike up there. Anyway, Bill enjoyed the pain so much that he signed up for a bike race from the bottom to the top of Mount Greylock in September. That should be interesting. As for the kids and me, we will drive to the top and meet him there. After all, it's the best we can do.
I'm going to tackle the spiral stair case inside of the Veterans War Memorial Tower which I was too chicken to go up the last time we were there! We all have our own battles to conquer, one of mine is the fear of heights! Oh well, but I'm gonna make it up to the top this time!
My little people with the Massachusetts Veteran War Memorial in the background. It was cool and windy up on the peak that day even though the valley was hot and humid. It was a nice break from the heat.

Bascom Lodge.

The ceiling inside of the Massachusetts Veteran's War Memorial

2 comments:

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

Wejust went there yesterday! It was amazing! My hubby wants to go back so we can hike from the bottom to the top... I'll have to think about that one although if I had a choice between biking it or walking, I would definately WALK!

Brownie Bites said...

That is a beautiful memorial. And your kids look beautiful, all dressed up. So grown up too. As for Bill, he is definitely a crazy man. One of Ster's counselor's is like that too. Rides his bike from his home to insanely high mountain peaks. Crazy crazy men. Good luck with the stairs. :)