Thursday, December 3, 2009

First Piano Duet

Erin played at her first mini recital for the family this week. A duet with her teacher, Denise, of Silent Night. It was very beautiful, and a nice payoff for all the times we have driven her to lessons over the last year and a half. Waiting in the car for thirty minutes is a long time with Shan and Sean climbing all over the car and me too!
The other day Erin was practicing the piano and needed help with a couple of notes. Well, since I am a self-taught pianist I came in the room and played the right notes. Yeah for me right? Wrong. Erin couldn't get past my technique and hand positions for long enough to focus on the correct notes I played. Ha ha. All she could do was say, "Mom, you are suppose to be in middle C position. Now, high G position. Mom, you are suppose to use your left hand to play that note, not your right hand!"
Well, I knew it would happen one day. Erin has surpassed my piano skills. Although, I can play more difficult music, she has better technique and correct hand positioning. I couldn't be more pleased. I have no doubt that she will continue to be a great pianist, and will continue leaving her mother in the dust. LOL. BTW, she ratted me out on my incorrect skills to Denise who just happened to mention that she teaches adults how to "correctly" play the piano. Oh mercy me! Maybe one day......when my "plate" is a little less full. Maybe........

2 comments:

Amber said...

I feel your pain about being a self-taught pianist (if I could even call myself that) being critiqued by your children. The last time I tried to play a song for my family during Family Home Evening, I had Jacob tell me that I need to learn how to play the piano ... and "you aren't very good mom." That is awesome that Erin is doing so well in piano!

Lisa said...

I'm soooo proud of you, Erin!!! xoxo