Saturday, August 8, 2009

Erin's Birthday Pics

We had a total blast at Six Flags. Bill took Erin and her friend to ride the "big kid" rides. Sean and I rode the "little kid" rides. Shannon missed all the birthday fun because she wanted to sleep over at a friend's house. I told her that she would miss present opening, Six Flags, cake and ice cream, and well she just didn't care so neither did I or Erin. If Erin had wanted Shan there well then I think I would have made her stay home....maybe?! We try to make birthdays fun and important, but we don't do what I call "over" celebrating. I have always been amazed how birthdays are celebrated for young kids. I just wonder what do you do to "top" yourself year after year, and what do the kids expect you to do every year. I have seen some pretty elaborate birthday parties for preschool kids. Not criticizing, just saying, it's not our style.
It was funny to watch Erin this year as she tries to transition from young girl to a tween. She had lots of CDs and DVDs on her wish list this year, but decided to leave behind some of her favorites like dolls and Barbies. Erin also wanted a plain yellow cake with chocolate frosting and candles, but not other decorations. She wanted to make it herself too. Well, by all means, knock yourself out. That was sooooo easy to do for her. Happy Birthday Erin! We have enjoyed every moment with you.....well almost every moment, but the not so fun stuff has been little compared to all the blessings!

2 comments:

TheTamFam said...

I love your commitment to the idea of a "simple birthday." I'm writing that one down to keep as a goal for the Tam kids. Erin is a darling--I wasn't nearly so graceful in my "tween" years.

Brownie Bites said...

I love the picture of Sean with the chocolate frosting. Classic. And I assume those are BFF necklaces. I have to admit, it made my heart ache, just a little. We really miss you guys.

hugs and kisses!