Last night the girls and I went to partay at the Eastern States Exposition. First, let me just say that we had a blast. I forgot my camera so I don't have any personal pics, sorry, the circus tent is courtesy of a google image search. The Eastern States Expo is a HUGE state fair of sorts that includes six New England states (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI and CT). Since I haven't been to a state fair for a long time, I had forgotten, or quite frankly never fully realized what a huge money trap it is! No kidding, $45 dollars just to park the car and get three people through the gate. Then there was the extra stuff like, do you want to see the world's largest horse or maybe the smallest horse, what about a bear encounter, a ride on an elephant or a camel, a ride down a huge slide on a burlap sack? Any takers? Each will set you back at least $2 a person. Then there are the rides, tickets required for each ride. Two tickets, three, four, five, it depends on how big the ride is. Each ticket $1. Wow! Erin rode one ride that cost me $4!!!! Staggering. Then there's food. $9 for two baked potatoes with butter, salt, and pepper. Are you kidding me? It's official, I'm stingy with my money! Yep, I've become a penny pincher. Never thought I would see the day.
Lucky for me, the girls have allowance money, and so many purchases were avoided with the answer, "NO, but if you want to spend your OWN money then you may buy it!" Listen up parents, these are magic words. Magic, I tell you. One of the best things we have done as parents is to give our kids an allowance. I kept a running tally in my head just to see how much money I could have spent shopping with the kids if I would have purchased everything they wanted, and it was shocking. $286, say what? Sweet niblets! Given the fact that I would have NEVER spent that much money in the first place, each girl made one purchase after lots of consideration. Erin bought a pewter dolphin necklace for $3, and Shannon got suckered for a fun strobe light thing-a-ma-bob at the circus for $10. Not too bad considering what it could have been. Love those magic words, "NO, spend your own money!"
On the positive side, the girls LOVED the circus which was included in the admission price on a first come first serve basis. There a three shows a day each lasting about an hour. It was fun for me to watch the girls watch the circus. A Mardi Gras parade was also part of the admission, and woe, what memories that brought back. I could tell some stories about Mardi Gras parades having grown up in Louisiana! That shall be a post for another day, if ever!
When all is said and done, I want to go back by myself (or with some friends....hint, hint) for a kid free experience. I would like to visit each state building, learn some history, experience the culture of New England, and shop! LOL. Next time I'll eat before I go, and skip the rides! I'm not sure if I will be strong enough to resist a ride on the elephant two times in a row though!?



3 comments:
The Big E is ridiculously expensive. We are going today, but luckly we get free tickets from my mother-in-law, or I don't think I would ever go. We stay away from the rides though. I love to go through the State Buildings and get something to eat from each one. I could do without the rest of the fair, which looks like infomercial land!
I know this friend of yours that is always up for fun....when do you want to go? Oh and I don't get an allowance can you pay ? :) HAHA
LOL! No allowance eh? I really want to go during the day. Sarah and I talked about trading off with the 2 year olds, but at night M-TH you can go for $5 after 5. Thursday nights work for me since it's my night out to recharge my mom batteries! What say you? Who else wants have some Big E kids free time?
Post a Comment