Monday, March 29, 2010

Gratitude is a state of mind.....

MySpace Graphics
Hundredthousand Graphics & Inspiration Quotes Pictures


Ever notice that when you look around, I mean really look around, you will find the most every one you meet is going through something difficult. No person is spared trials, sufferings, adversity, or affliction. We are all just trying to do the best with what we have, for better or worse.
I find strength from and admire those that somehow manage to find a way to flourish in spite of it all. They put a smile on their face, even when they don't want to. I have always loved the song "Smile" that Nat King Cole sang many years ago.
"Smile though your heart is aching
Smile even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you."

I'm not advocating that this same admired person never has a bad day, never sheds a tear of frustration or sorrow, or never feels angry, overwhelmed or defeated. Sometimes it is darn near impossible to pull yourself out of that "funk". I know you know what I'm talking about.
I have been in a "funk" lately. By golly, I hate it when that happens, but today I chose to have an attitude of gratitude. Today, I focused on the things that make me smile......and you know what? I had a good day. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, no one knows that, but because of gratitude, I have HOPE! Ahhhhh, it feels so good.
Here's a little list of what I'm grateful for, and that make me smile, in random order just so you don't think I love chocolate more than my kids or something like that:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens (just messing with you on those two, but I do like both of those, but I didn't think of them today), fresh and hot just baked bread on a cold day, the sound of sneakers squeaking a gym floor, chocolate - dark chocolate to be precise, a sleeping child or three to be exact, hot water, understanding just what my husband is communicating even though he hasn't said a word, reading a great book, modern medicine, knowing that no matter how bad it gets -there's always tomorrow, mud between my toes...just not under my nails, the simple testimony of my children, the sound of rain, families are forever, southern soul food, an "easy to open" jar, finger puppets, a balanced check book (judge if you must, but it does make me smile), a ripe tomato, facebook/blogs, a true friend that loves me even when I don't love myself, the first baseball game of the season....Red Sox-Wednesday-oh yeah baby, music because it speaks to my soul, the unconditional love of my family, the Savior-my rock, a package in the mail (What can brown do for you?), the color orange, the memory of my loved ones who have passed on even though I miss 'em like crazy, zippers or big buttons, hot chocolate(I had to slip chocolate in there twice just for good measure), the smell of campfire (burning wood to heat my house lets me experience that smell often, and it's toasty warm too!), hot McDonald's french fries, and knowing without a doubt that this is only a small sample of the many things I am grateful for.

Like I said, who knows what tomorrow will bring, but for today- for now, I'm A-OKay!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

What a great post! Very inspiring. I need to be more grateful - thanks for the reminder.

C Tam said...

I love that song Smile. Did you know Charlie Chaplin wrote the music for it, and it was reportedly Michael Jackson's favorite--I watched a video once of him singing it to his kids. Somehow those points make me like the song more.

I've been singing that Raindrops on Roses song a lot lately, and halfway through I end up forgetting the words so then I make up my own "favorite things" and they don't rhyme very well--but it makes me smile twice as big anyway. Little Tam doesn't seem to mind the nonrhyming favorites either. And he is my favorite favorite.

Amber said...

Thanks for that post, Jenn. I love that saying at the top. I really needed that today!