Friday, May 14, 2010

Flashback Friday

So today I'm in deep thought about lots of stuff. One thing on my mind is my Papa (Paw-Paw) Johnnie. He's in his late 70s now, but he is still claiming 21! Rascal! My sister is down south helping him because his arteries in his legs are blocked, 90% L and 100% R, among other stuff. Pretty scary to me because this is just how everything started with my Granny right before she passed! =( He's my last living grandparent. Believe it or not, his mother, my MawMaw Hazel is still alive too! We need a five generation picture even thought my dad is missing.
This isn't a post about all of his medical problems, but rather I was just thinking about my memories with him. There are many. I've been thinking about how sometimes it really stinks to live so far away from family. My Papa is a charmer. He can win over just about anyone. He's never met a stranger. He's a ladies man....always has been. He's knows how to sweet talk. He's about as deep south, backwoods cajun as one can get, but he is not ignorant. Bill can hardly understand a word he says because of his thick cajun/french, LA accent. Truth be told, the longer I've lived away from home, and the more the years pass on, the harder it is for me to understand him too. He smells of tabacco and peppermint. He tells a great story even if he almost always embellishes it a tad, oh alright, he embellishes a lot. I like how he's always called me his pumpkin although when he says pumpkin it sounds like pun-kin!
This picture was taken while I was still in high school, junior year I think. (It's a terrible picture. The quality is horrid!) It was at his house. I don't remember why we climbed in that tree. My Papa probably smooth talked me into climbing up there. He looks so young. It was so long ago. Before you know it, time passes. Things change. People change. Life goes by too fast. Sometimes I wish time would stand still so I can focus on the sound of someone's voice, the lines of their skin, the look in their eyes, the scent of their being, the way they see the world, the phrases they speak often, and so on.
Oh mercy. Look at me dragging you down my stroll on memory lane. My Papa might say something like this....I reckon I best git. I'm fixin' to put the kids to bed. In my language. It's time to stop blogging because I need to get the kids to bed. Laissez les bon temps rouler! (Pronounced lay-say lay bon ton roulay) Let the good times roll!

No comments: