Monday, September 27, 2010

Day Four.......

My name is Jenn. I am a diet coke and caffeine addict. I am currently in detox......day 4, of no soda and no caffeine. I have been on and off this bandwagon many, many times, but this time it's truly over. =( The first two days were brutal. I'm talking MAJOR headache, but now it's better. Not great, but better.
Lots of people want to know why? Here's a few of the reasons. To monitor my lupus better. One of the first signs of a lupus flare, for me, is extreme fatigue. Hard to monitor that when your tossing back diet coke all day to combat the fatigue. (I won't even bother to tell you how much. It's too embarrassing.) The more you drink, the more you think you need though. A few weeks of antibiotics, heavy painkillers, expensive, and horrendous dental problems inspired me to give up soda altogether. Carbonation eats away the teeth and leaches calcium from the bones.....so "they" tell me. I'm a believer. Then there is my Erin, my straight as an arrow Erin, who has been lecturing me from a spiritual perspective for a LONG time. Mercy. Kids are good motivators.
I've entertained different ideas to still keep consuming, but it all seemed so shallow. I mean hiding diet coke from my kids and drinking through a straw just to avoid contact of soda on my teeth is a bit extreme and well, ridiculous. I can't even rationalize my way out of that. Nope. That was the last straw for me. Literally. At any rate. I'm drinking mostly water. Boring. It's driving me nuts, but it is what it is! I think I will crave diet coke for a very long time, maybe forever. At least it feels that way now. It is/was a true addiction. Sigh. It could be worse though. It always could be worse, so I'll take this. It's enough for me.

8 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Yay Jenn. I believe in you.

Jenn said...

Thanks Karin! I always know you have my back. Love ya!

Lisa said...

I lived on Diet Coke all through nursing school... to the point that I developed a kidney stone and severe dehydration right before graduation day. Worst pain of my entire life!!!! Detox was the pits too... crashing fatigue and pretty much slept for an entire week, drinking nothing but water and lemonade. I managed to stay "clean" for about 2 months and felt great. Don't know why I started drinking it again. You'd think I'd learn! I love the carbonation. Not sure how to replace that, 'though. :(

Debster said...

Are you going to go to Disney land if you stay off it? I think that sounds like a great plan. Maybe if you did that I would try to jump on the no drinking ban wagon!!! What good times. So how is life???

Jenn said...

Debster!!!!! I miss you! I was just talkin' about you the other day and here you are! Disney eh? Is that how we rewarded ourselves for our "year" break from it years ago? You went longer than a year then!!!!! Why? Why? Why, did I ever start drinking it again after that!? It's the nectar of the gods, that's why!!!! What's your day like tomorrow!? Can I call you? Hmmmmm. Need a fix!

Debster said...

Call me my friend!!!!

Kate Challis said...

So I know that carbonation is one of the best parts of diet coke, but have you tried crystal lite? My mother in law has issues with consuming calories in the form of a beverage, but she gets tired of boring water. I think the best flavor is ruby red grapefruit. It might help with the detox, and I'm pretty sure it's not bad for the teeth!

Jenn said...

Well hello Mrs. Challis. Didn't know you stopped by the ol' Dermody blog. Thanks for commenting. I will try that grapefruit drink. Surely it's better than water all day. I do love carbonation, but...........! Thanks for the info. How are those two sweet babies doing? Congratulations! I'm sure your new little boy is wonderful and loved by all, especially his big sis. I would love to see pics. Do you have a blog for the littles? Would love to read it! (I know their names too BTW, just don't know how you feel about having them published on the interenet!) Take care. =)