Friday, September 24, 2010

The Teal Mobile

For those of you who don't know about our "other" car, the teal mobile, let me introduce you. It's a 1995 Saturn with about 180,000 miles on it. It's a piece of crap to put it mildly. I loathe it when I have to drive that thing. It sits low to the ground. It rumbles, whistles, and bounces you around. The front seats lean to the middle. This, that, or the other is broken on the darn thing, and yet my hubby really, really, really wants to drive this baby until it croaks. I'm all for not having a car payment, and I am whole heartedly on board with keeping it around, until...........I HAVE TO DRIVE IT!!!!
So this weekend Bill is out on the Cape, Cape Cod, riding bikes with some other insane men who think that 100 miles of bike riding in one day is a "good" thing, and even a "fun" thing to do. Say what? I don't get it, but I can support it! Anyway, long story short, he has my van because it is more reliable. I'm home with the kids playing taxi driver in the teal mobile. I better be earning brownie points for this. =)
So I load all the kids in the car, plus one of Shannon's friends, to take Erin to a sleepover, where incidentally there will be NO sleeping. Erin sits in the front seat for the first time. (Illegal I'm sure. I'll find out later.) We come clickity-clanking up to a stop light in our luxury Saturn, and there's a group of teenagers in the crosswalk. In two seconds flat Erin has buried herself beneath her pillow, blanket, and bag o' stuff, and is practically laying on the floorboard. Bwaahahahahahaha! (I know I shouldn't think it's funny. I should have empathy, but.......it is funny. It is.)
I can't resist but to ask her, "Hey Erin, what's up? Whatcha doin'?" Erin replies, "Mom, don't talk to me. I don't want anyone to know I am here. This. Car. Is. So. Embarrassing. Duh Mom! Are those teenagers past yet?" So it starts. I'm no longer the center of her universe. She has awakened. Well, I knew it would happen one day. This feels like the part where some audible heavenly voice should say, "Warning. Please fasten your parental seat belt. Bumpy roads ahead. Detours likely. Be prepared." Well, I'll consider myself warned. I'm sure this won't be the last "embarrassing" moment. Hahahahahaha. Yeah, I still think it's hilarious. I didn't know she could move that fast!

3 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Didn't you have that car in Ogden, for a little while maybe? You and Bill have a way of milking those vehicles until they are really and truly finished.
Erin's reaction is classic. I love it.

Jenn said...

We got that car right before we moved away from Ogden and right before we had Shannon. We brought Shannon home from the hospital in that car. Mercy. We do milk vehicles.
Remember that old, silver Ford Bronco II we had? No reverse. No 5th gear and eventually no 3rd or 4th gears either with a manual transmission. No AC. I use to park on the hill in front of our house so I could pop the clutch on it everyday so it would start. I learned how to find parking spaces on hills too for the same reason. The drivers door wouldn't open from the outside. That's just the stuff that I can think of right off the top of my head. Heeeheheheheheee. We do drive cars until they die.
On a side note, you seem to have your muse back and that Hash......too, too, too cute!

Barbara said...

The teal mobile...I love it! And Jenn, I think you heard the heavenly voice of warning loud and clear! HaHaHa!