Thursday, September 23, 2010

A "Time Out" for Mom

Recently I attended Time Out For Women sponsored by Deseret Book. I have been to several of these events each in a different city. How fun is that? I love it! I particularly enjoyed this latest one. I'm not sure why this one stands out as my favorite?! Maybe it was the dynamite list of speakers and performers. Wow! Maybe it was sitting shoulder to shoulder with my friends and sisters. Maybe it was the quiet confirmations and whisperings of the spirit that spoke specifically and clearly to me individually. Maybe and more likely, it was the combination of all of the above.
The speaker that stood out the most for me was Mariama Kallon. This woman is amazing. I love her presence. I love her laugh. I love her attitude. She calls her scriptures her therapist. Love that! Her story is amazing, and I just purchased her new DVD from Deseret Book, "Delivered by Hope." It tells of her story starting in war-torn Sierra Leone, and then follows her through the loss of her family who were murdered or died inhumanely because of the actions of the rebels of war, her conversion to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and then her subsequent mission to Temple Square.
I am a firm believer that we can choose our reactions to any situation. Mariama is a great example of someone who has had every reason to be bitter, to blame God, to have self pity, but no, she chooses to trust in God, to be happy, to serve those around her, she chooses to live freely with peace and hope! I am forever changed for the better by such a brief encounter with this sweet woman. May God continue to bless her for she is doing much good in the world.
I can't wait until next year. I already have the dates marked on the calendar. I've given my hubby the dates too with a strict "do not schedule over the top of these dates" order. The closest one to me is several hours away next year, what a bonus. I'm going to get a hotel room and have a serious recharging of the batteries time. This is so worth it to me. Worth every penny. Worth every sacrifice. Worth my time. Love, love, love it! Can't wait. Counting down the days..........392 days to go! LOL.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I have thought many times of attending that. So glad you had a great experience - you may have convinced me not to miss it next year!

Jenn said...

You should go if you can. It's like a little mini Women's Conference, but without the huge lines. The one closet to me next year is near Palmyra and the Sacred Grove. Soooooo excited. Bonus, Time Out and a mini church history tour. Sa-weet.
I heard someone call it EFY for adults. It is in many ways.....just no dance at the end of the day. I know it's a "paid" event, but it's worth it. I always leave better than I came, and the spirit is always strong. Love it! Can you tell?

Barbara said...

Jenn, I just checked to see when Time Out For Women was coming here and I see that it is scheduled for April, 2011. So, why don't you just fly out here and attend with me and then you wouldn't have to wait until Fall! You know, we could have another one of those bonding experiences...kind of like the yoga class. HaHaHa!

Jenn said...

I so heart that yoga class experience. It just makes me giggle to think about it! That would be so much fun to go to TOFW together. Love those "bonding" moments. I'll have to heavily consider that. It would be awesome if Lisa, Nadya, and Farrah could all go too! Hmmmmmm? Food for thought for sure. (I would still "have" to go in the fall too though, and that would be all about the bonding with my peeps here in NE. Hahahahaha.) =)

Barbara said...

Glad to hear that you are heavily considering! April 29,30.
Jenn, we are definitely on the same wave length as I was thinking of Lisa and the girls as well. And, of course you would have to go again in the the Fall! You could have your Mom batteries charged twice next year!