Shannon, my 7 year old, struggles, I mean really struggles with reading. With school back in session we are on a roller coaster of emotions over reading. There has certainly been a breach of peace in our home as we battle over nightly reading homework, all complete with tantrums and tears. But I will not be discouraged, that girl is gonna be a great reader one day. I've already seen marked improvement, and that makes this momma a happy momma indeed. (If I may say so myself, and I do say so. Ha!)So, I purchased the first book in the "Ivy and Bean" series by Annie Barrows. (Incidentally, I just read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" also co-written by Annie Barrows for our local book club selection this month. Loved that book by the way.) When I showed Shan her very first chapter book, she freaked out! Seriously. In her mind, she thought that she was NOT smart enough to read a "long" chapter book, but I know her better than that. With some smooth talking, I convinced her to just buck up and get 'er done. If ya know what I mean.
Tonight Shannon finished the first book. Wow. What an experience. She is so proud of herself, as she should be. Both Shannon and I love this series. It's about two 7 year old little girls who become great friends even though they are very different. It's full of mischief and adventure. It's funny too, and funny goes a long way after a bucketful of tears. (Even Erin likes it although it's for a younger reader than a 10 year old.) So if you have little girls, or perhaps boys too, and you're looking for a series to read may I recommend "Ivy and Bean." The first book of the series was published in 2006 and the latest addition, book 7, comes out in the fall of this year. It's been around for a little while, but it's new to us. Tomorrow Shannon starts book #2. Sweet!



4 comments:
you must have been reading my mind - cause i was just thinking I needed to figure out some good books for my daughter (who is also be 7 in a few months) thanks for the tips - excited to try them out with her :)
Good job, Jenn! It sounds like a stroke of genius on your part to introduce Shannon to "Ivy and Bean." This grandmother is going to check out these books. By the way, my book group will be reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" too!
Tell Shannon I am proud of her too, and that I am looking forward to hearing about some of the adventures of Ivy and Bean when I talk with her on the phone.
Hi Mom,
Just finished hosting our book club tonight for our review of "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society!" We all liked it. I give it two thumbs up. You should enjoy it! I'll tell Shan to "prepare" to report! LOL.
Woo Hoo Shannon! You are on an adventure my lil friend! Reading is amazing and you are an amazing reader. Please keep me posted about "Ivy & Bean". I do not have any little boys or girls to keep me up to date on fun adventures. Keep Reading!!
Love,
Sis. Bird
P.S. You have one smart momma who loves you.
Post a Comment