Friday, January 16, 2009

Crossing the line

My sister and I had to share a bed when we were growing up, not very fun. I was a mean older sister. I would pretend to draw an imaginary line down the middle of the bed that no one was allowed to cross. I made some pretty serious kid threats if the line was breached. Mean of me, wasn't it?
When Bill travels the girls take turns sleeping in the bed with me. This is a most desirable privilege because our kids are not allowed to sleep in the bed with mom and dad otherwise. We are very strict about this. Occasionally when the kids are sick or scared then they may crawl in bed with us for a little while, but never for long. Not even our tiny little newborn babes have had the luxury of sleeping in the "middle". We feel that kids and parents have their own beds for a reason (wink, wink), and that everyone sleeps better in their own beds.
Last night was a restless night for me for many reasons, but mostly because it was Sissy's turn to sleep in the bed with me. Jeepers Creepers, what was I thinking? When you are laying awake in your own bed at 3ish in the morning compiling a top 10 list of reasons that you should never share your bed with your child, it's pretty bad. Do you have a list like this?

Top Ten Reasons the Kids Should Sleep in Their Own Bed
1. A definite violation of the "imaginary line" down the middle of the bed.
2. Drooling on the pillows.
3. Taking up 3/4 of the space in the bed.
4. Bad breath that smells like cooked carrots to me, don't know why.
5. Talking in their sleep and arguing with siblings while shouting things like, "It's my turn. Give it back. I'm telling."
6. The legs stretched over the top of my body like I am a LazyBoy recliner.
7. Did I mention bad kid breath?
8. A slap in the face or a foot to the ribs while they are rolling over.
9. Cover stealing.
10. Don't forget that the stuffed animals and dolls need a space and covers too!


Animated


Tonight I just might enforce "Mommy" law and send everyone back to their own beds. Just the way I think it should be anyway.

2 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Kids are not allowed in my bed either. Never have been except sometimes when Sterling is out of town. Even then, its not very often.

Jennifer said...

amen....:)