Friday, January 30, 2009

Phew!

I am finally emerging from a couple of weeks of being sick, and the kids too! Glad that is over! I have lots of stuff to post, but still finding it hard to devote much time to blogging. I am sorry to have missed posting some fun things the kids have said or done in the past week or so along with what Bill has been up to and some of my own random thoughts.











Just this morning Shannon and I had a funny little conversation about presidents of the United States. She wanted to know who the first president was. I told her George Washington to which she asked, "Is he white or brown?" I was momentarily stunned by the question but thought about how it demonstrated the different world my kids now live in compared to the one I grew up in. I explained to her that President Obama is the only "brown/black" president that our country has ever had. Her response was, "Oh, that's weird." She seemed to grasp the significance of that in her little five year old way and skipped away happily. While I don't care to blog about politics, I do think this quick little conversation captured the moment in history that electing President Obama achieved. Race shouldn't be a determining factor for a president one way or another. I personally didn't vote for Obama, but I am willing to give him the respect he deserves as the leader of my country. I hope to be pleasantly surprised with his actions, but I don't know! I rarely agree with his policies, and I doubt that will change much!

No comments: