Thursday, July 16, 2009

Car Repairs.....

Erin loves to goof around for the camera (unless she thinks I'm gonna post the pics on my blog, hee hee), and I thought this picture was a good expression of my day today. Both of our vehicles needed repairs this week. Bill car is old, around 14 years old, and it has 175,000+ miles on it. I know, I hate that car, but it has been a great car too in spite of it's faults and condition. It rarely breaks down, and when it does the repairs are minimal in cost. It's a clunker, and the bike rack on top of it is worth more than the car. Oh heck, Bill's bike's are worth more than that ol' car, but it's reliable. It has no monthly payment, and it's a cool greenish turquoise color. (Can a greenish turquoise color be cool for a car? Just wondering.) I think I may have uttered a swear word or two in that rattletrap today, but who's counting!
I'm the "lucky" one, I get to drive a "minivan" that's around 4 years old. This van always has something wrong with it, and even though it has a fairly decent warranty, it costs way more to own than the rickety car. Every repair costs us a $100 deductible just to have the darn thing looked at. It is always in the shop. Last summer it was there for so long that the dealership finally gave us a rental minivan until they could figure out what was wrong with ours. If it isn't one thing, it's another. Mercy!
So this week Bill's car cost a whopping $40 to repair, my van (the cash hog) almost $700! Sometimes things are not always as they appear. Looks like we may have to dump the minivan before the car. Bill may get his wish, he may one day own a car that has over 200,000 miles on it! My guess is it won't be the minivan!!!

1 comment:

Brianne said...

Our van is in the shop too. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it in 6 hours, so now it's going on to day two to figure out what is wrong with it. I'm scared to see how much it is going to cost me! It's an old van though...14 years old, but only 114,000 miles on it. I hope we don't having a lot of problems with it though!