Every once in a while I like to blog about lupus so I can vent and educate. Today's topic the sun, so I can vent. The American College of Rheumatology loosely defines photosensitivity as "a skin rash as a result of unusual reaction to sunlight." Oh joy, what does that mean in real life, in the life of Jenn? It means that every day is a sunblock day, even on those days that look deary, the sun still shines through. (I use Neutrogena® 100+ SPF with helioplex broad spectrum uva-uvb protection, #1 dermoatologist recommended, fast absorbing, waterproof suncare! LOL! Well, it's what I really use, everyday!) It means, for me at least, that I sit on the deck by our swimming pool under an umbrella with my legs covered with a towel just in case. It means that today my ankles and feet must have been sticking out of the bottom of the towel in the sun because I got 5 hives (total) on both of my feet, and that just makes me mad! It means you go to the beach with a long sleeve shirt, shorts (if you dare), a hat, and an umbrella and watch gazillions of sun-worshipers lay out in the sun while people wonder why you're dressed for an autumn hay ride. Oh, and forget about going "green" with energy-efficient fluorescent light bulbs because it has the same effect as the sun. Darn, and I was hoping to save $35 a year on the "green" plan. I CAN wear short sleeved shirts and shorts and the sunlight can touch me without killing me. If I know that no shade will be available or if I will be in the sun for LONG periods of time I have to be extra careful about the time of day, the clothes I wear, and how long it's been since I last applied sunscreen. In the past I have had to miss pioneer trek youth conferences because of sun issues, and I have yet to convince Bill that a cruise to the caribbean is a fantastic idea. Mercy!
About half to three-quarters of people with lupus have photosensitivity, and it really stinks. Ahhhhh, I remember the good ol' days of tanning beds and trips to exotic, sunny locations. Oh well, everyone has something to worry about and inconvenience their day-to-day routine. This just happens to be one of mine. But next time you're out in the sun enjoying a day of swimming, walking, laying out, gardening, playing sports or whatever just remember it's a blessing and someone somewhere wishes to be just like you, out in the sun without thinking about it! Oh and by the way, if you happen to get a glimpse of my "white" legs, get use to it, they are gonna be that way for a LONG time!
(Photo from www.nasa.gov taken by Hinode’s Solar Optical Telescope on Nov. 11, 2006. Just incase you wanted to know!)



2 comments:
Hey Cousin I am so sorry to hear no more Hawaiian beach parties, No more Cayman shark attacks, and no more fried Sea World parties. Oh what fun we used to have in the sun! What's up? Give me a call...
Those were good times! Stitches from Hell, Grand Cayman ( I could live without the sharks and stingrays), jacked up contacts in La Jolla in which some nearly blind chick had to drive home, psycho dudes in Hawaii....it's all gravy, Ahhhhhh we had some good times cous! Miss ya!!!!
Post a Comment