There was a little boy giving a prayer in primary. He said "Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the letter A, thank you for the letter B, thank you for the letter C, thank you for the letter D...." and so on all the way to the end of the alphabet. The teacher being wise and listening to the spirit let the kid finish the prayer only to be surprised when he said, "And Heavenly Father thank you for the number 1, thank you for the number 2, thank you for the number 3...." and so on until he reached the number 20. The teacher still felt she should let the boy finish his prayer, and not interrupt him. The little boy finished his prayer with "And Heavenly Father thank you for my primary teacher, who is probably the only adult who would let me finish my prayer." I love this story, and I am not telling it exactly word for word, but the content is correct.
Tonight Erin decided to pray one of those looooong prayers, and sure enough she started with, "Dear Heavenly Father thank you for the letter A!...." Oh no! I knew where this was going. Thankfully she prayed for the whole alphabet, then only the first 20 numbers, and a few other things. She was sure to include this, "And thank you for my mom who is probably the only mom who would let me pray this long prayer."
Perhaps I am not the only mom who wouldn't mind listening to a loooooong prayer spoken by their child, but I am a mom who listened to a snippet of a conference talk and knew exactly what I needed to do when the moment came. So at the end of this looooong Sunday, I am grateful to have such wonderful examples, guidance, and leadership in my life so that I am NOT left guessing or making the wrong choice when life's little moments present themselves. I know that this experience with Erin isn't a life altering experience, but I feel confident that the lines of communication between Heavenly Father and Erin are being developed as well as trust and communication between mother and daughter.
For this loooong prayer and so many, many other blessings I am truly grateful. Our loving Heavenly Father certainly knows me, all of us, and never leaves us alone to figure life out on our own. I don't know everything, but I do know the basics, the ABC's if you will, and I am grateful, grateful, grateful, for all the many ways I have learned. Most of the time, the experiences that teach me the most are just something simple like a child's prayer.



1 comment:
I love that story. You are indeed a good mom and Erin is just plain awesome. What personality. I love it!
Post a Comment