We have OLYMPIC FEVER over here at the Dermody home. We've been watching as much of it as we can. The kids are even into it. Erin tried ice skating for the first time last weekend and declared, "It's not as easy as it looks on TV!" Too funny. I love to watch the competitions themselves, but I also LOVE to hear the stories of the athletes and the roads they have taken to get to compete in the Olympics.One story that totally captured my attention is that of Joannie Rochette, a Canadian figure skater. Her mom suddenly passed away of a heart attack on this past Saturday, and now on Tuesday, Joannie Rochette is out skating her short program. While I have watched many other competitions during this Olympics that has had me on the edge of my seat with my finger crossed for my favorite athlete, none have touched me like watching Joannie Rochette skate tonight. Amazing. To think I didn't even know who she was before this past weekend.
This time, while watching her skate, I sat on the edge of my seat praying for a complete stranger saying stuff like, "Please Heavenly Father don't let her fall. Let her skate her best for her mother. Bless her, she's had a lot to deal with over the past few days!" Well, she didn't fall. She did skate her own personal best coming in third place at that moment in time. I don't know what position she will hold when all is said and done tonight, but for me, I had seen all I needed to see. (I couldn't have seen anymore anyway because the tears freely flowed down my cheeks and off the edge of my face by the end of her program.) I turned the TV off and now I'm writing this little post.
I can't imagine what she must feel like or how deep her sorrow must be. I certainly can't imagine what it would be like to be in the Olympics with all the typical pressure that comes with the games. I can't understand how she pulled herself together to achieve her best. I do know that I was impressed, inspired, influenced, and completely blown away (call it what you want) by this young woman. If you didn't see it, I hope you have TIVO, OnDemand, or something...maybe youtube has a clip of it, so you can see this girl's strength and emotion. Incredible.
(Photo from figureskating.about.com)



3 comments:
I agree - there have been so many touching stories with this Olympics. I can't get enough of it! Last night was so touching!!!
Oh my gosh! I watched and prayed and cried just as you did! She is incredible! You can watch a video of her performance at the following link - http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=df674667-721b-4991-9d12-0066cefb8696.html#ladies+sp+joannie+rochette
Nanci!!! Glad to see you here! I've seen you "floating" around on fb. We need to become "virtual" friends too! LOL. Wish you lived closer so I could get to know you better. I guess the internet will have to do. Now, I'm gonna go to link and watch Joannie Rochette! Thanks!
Post a Comment