Thanks to my two darling little girls we have watched a whole lot of Hannah Montana episodes here at our home. Sadly I must admit that now I catch myself saying "Sweet niblets!" that ol' phrase made popular by Hannah Montana! In fact just the other day Sissy be-bops into the family room and "schooled" me really good on how to "properly" use the expression "Sweet niblets!"Me: "So Sissy, did you finish your homework and brush your teeth?"
Sissy: "Yes mom. I did all that."
Me: "Way to go Sis-a-roo. Sweet Niblets. Give me a high five!"
Sissy: "Maaaa-om. (I love it when mom turns into a two syllable word.) That's not how you say that."
Me: "Say what?"
Sissy: "Sweet Niblets mom. You said it all wrong. You are suppose to say it if like...you um....bang your big toe and it hurts really bad or if like Erin gets on the puter (computuer) right before you can or if Sean colors on your picture. (Insert rolling eyes through all of this along with heavy sighs.) It's not a good thing mom. It's for bad stuff. Duh."
Me: "Well, excuse me. Who knew?"
Sissy: (Clearly miffed now because she is trying to watch the Olympics.) "Sides mom, big people aren't suppose to say sweet niblets cuz you're too old. It's only for kids. That's probably why you say it all wrong cuz you are definitely old!"
Me: "Well in that case all I have to say about all of that, and the being old part, is.......SWEET NIBLETS!!!"



7 comments:
So very funny. I have to say, I'm glad Hannah Montana is not watched in our home. (No cable) but the kids do watch a lot of Wizards on Waverly Place. My problem with both shows is that the characters are so sarcastic and kind of rude and the adults are usually not portrayed as people who deserve respect. And when my kids finish watching, they kind of act the same way.
I explained this to Sydney and now she still watches but she's very aware of not acting the same way. She knows I may ban all the shows all together. Smart girl.
I have noticed the same thing with the characters. On some shows there aren't any parents to speak of really like iCarly for example. Luckily, my kids are kinda growing out of the Hannah phase and are moving on to Wizards and a couple of others. I'm certainly seeing the influence of tv and peers on my girls, especially Erin. I'm grateful that it isn't all negative influences though. So many things to monitor and look out for. Mercy, and to think it's all just starting really. Oh my.
I always thought your key phrase was "mercy," and sure enough there it appeared in the comment above. My mother said such gems as "Laws," and "Land sakes." Where did those even come from.
I can hardly wait until my kid is old enough to correct me. Too cute!
LOL! My key phrase is "MERCY"!!!! I would never give that one up. I can't even remember how it became such a part of me, but ya know, I was trying to mix it up...trying to be fresh! Oh well. Ya win some, ya lose some.
I heard you say sweet niblets long before I ever knew Hannah said it...maybe she got it from you :)
Jenn, you are right, Hannah must have gotten that expression from me!!! What was I thinking? I had totally forgotten that tiny little detail. Is that a sign of old age.....forgetting things?! Hmmmm........just sayin'!
I laughed throughout this whole conversation! Sissy certainly taught you well on the proper usage of "Sweet Niblets" as you demonstrated at the end. Even if you are too "old" to use it! LOL
Post a Comment