Monday, February 8, 2010

A Princess

Today Sean comes to me with my wedding picture clutched in his little messy paws and we had the following conversation.(Remember, he is only 3.)

Sean: "Mommy, look dis picture I find."

Me: "Yes, that is mommy's wedding picture. Isn't mom pretty?" (A bit of shameless self-promoting.)

Sean: "Mommy look like princess."

Me: "Yes, why thank you very much. Though you should know that mommy might look like a princess, but mommy is really THE Queen, ruler of your kingdom."

Sean: "Nooooo, (with his little finger pointing at me and his angry eyebrows fixed in place) You not the queen. You princess!"

Me: "Nope son, that's not true. Erin and Sissy are the princesses, Mom is the Queen!"

Sean: Now he is really fired up and has to make his point loud and clear, "Don't make me tell you again. (I think I've heard this somewhere before...hmmmm?) You not queen. You princess. Dad is king!" Then, satisfied with himself, he walks away. Rude.

ME: I'm speechless. What? How did Dad get into this royal conversation. Now that just ain't right. Thrown over board by my own flesh and blood. Demoted to a princess. Doesn't he know about rank and authority around here. Mercy me. He was proud of himself and sure of his opinion. I think he's a chip off of the "King" block. I did manage to tickle a "you da Queen" declaration out of him before bedtime. Cute little monkey.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Dad and I got a good laugh out of this conversation! I think he is a chip off the "King" block too! Those guys sure do stick together!

Did you have the cute little monkey begging for mercy as you tickled the "you da Queen" out of him?

Brownie Bites said...

That's adorable. But yes, he does need to learn that you are definitely the Queen. Always have been, always will be, as far as he's concerned.