
I have to confess that this year I am struggling to get in that Christmas mood. There I said it! I LOVE Christmas, but I find it all so overwhelming this year. I recognize this as a problem with only nine days until Christmas, and I have yet to begin my Christmas shopping. I am not a total scrooge, I did decorate my whole house the day after Thanksgiving. My kids are in full Christmas swing, and anxiously awaiting the arrival of Santa. We have done lots of Christmas activities, because of the kids, but my heart isn't in it!
I guess I need a game plan, and a game face, to pull it all off in the last week of preparations. First, I am tossing the Christmas cards overboard. I usually hassle Bill about writing the annual family letter which is always a hit and very funny, but this year no hassles about that. Our cards and letter always seem to end up being late somehow, but this year there will be no card. Just so you all know, it isn't because we don't love you all, it is just an executive decision. :( Sad, I know! Second, I am gonna shop this weekend or maybe sooner. We usually have small Christmases, so this never takes too long. Third, christmas lights, a trip to Yankee Candle to sit on Santa's lap, a few more Christmas parties, and perhaps even a bottle of sparkling cider. Last of all, I am going to enjoy the real meaning of Christmas realizing that I am nothing without that little Baby born in a stable. That will have to do. It is a small offering, but it's all I can do! Merry Christmas!



2 comments:
Everything you described doing this year sounds like a GREAT Christmas to me! Isn't that what it's all about... quiet moments with family and remembering our Savior?
I sometimes get overwhelmed with all the Christmas preparations too... mostly the shopping. Sometimes I wish I could just shop for the kids and leave it at that. I don't mind the decorating and baking because that's time spent making memories, but the shopping sometimes takes some of the enjoyment of the season away from me. I'd MUCH rather have a quiet and less rushed Christmas, but there's the feeling of guilt that others will be sending cards and gifts, so therefore, I must too.
I slowly gave up mailing cards, years ago, when I was a single mom. I quickly learned that my plate was too full and my kids needed me the most. That is why I love email (and blogs) because it allows me to check-in with people when I have a free moment, here and there, instead of having to shoot for a specific date. I think it keeps me more in touch, anyway.
Don't stress. Just relax and take it easy. You probably deserve it anyway. You amaze me with whaqt you accomplish in a day, even when you don't feel well. (Trust me, I know how that is. Only, I think you are doing a much better job than I am!) Your family and friends love you and feel loved by you. You demonstrate your love to us every day.
I've probably said this before, that marrying you on December 12, 1998 was the best decision that my brother ever made. Thank you for saying, "yes"!
Strangely, it always works out huh? Last year was my scrooge year and we survived :)
Post a Comment