Shannon, my most unpredictable child, said the following thing to me while shoveling loads of chocolate covered pretzels, oreos, Christmas tree cookies, peanut brittle, gummy bears, and various other treats in her mouth, "Mom, my prayers came true. This morning I prayed to have a good day at school and a good day at home. My prayers came true because I had a good day at school and because you are letting me eat so much junk! That makes me have a good day at home!" Well, I wish I had realized earlier by what yard stick motherhood is measured according to Shannon, mistakes are forgiven in payments of junk food and CHOCOLATE!!! Maybe she is my child after all. LOL.
Not to overlook what I thought was the most important part, Sissy had said her own prayer. Even though we had family prayer that morning, she had prayed on her own. I find that most gratifying. Yes, there may be hope for her, for all of them, after all. I find that even though I may not be June Cleaver, who ever could ever be a perfect fictional TV character anyway?, I am giving it all I have. Some days it is nice to know that some of what I sacrifice so much for is sinking in, even if I only hear about every once in a while. I still appreciate her words and the cute grin, with oreo encrusted teeth, that she blessed me with while bestowing me with her young words of wisdom.



No comments:
Post a Comment