Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Never-lasting!

I grew up in a family that never really would say "I love you" to each other. I remember getting an assignment in Sunday School once to tell everyone in your family that you loved them. I tried, but I just couldn't do it. It's not that I didn't love them, it was just bizarre and unusual. I remember thinking that in my own family, when I grew up, that we would be the sort of family that freely expressed our feelings for each other, and that the words "I love you" would be spoken often.
Now that I am all "grown-up" and have my own family, we do say "I love you" often. In fact, it is said so much that I have even said it to people over the phone after confirming a Dr. appointment, hair cut time, or just at the end of my conversations with friends, school teachers, strangers, and well, you get the picture. It has been pretty embarrassing at times especially when I throw an "I love you BABY!" statement at 'em. MERCY!
Don't read this wrong, we are not all raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens running around saying I love you all the time while the heavens smile down upon our blessed home. We are very well acquainted with expressing our feelings freely, too freely sometimes. The girls wish they were the only child most days, sometimes you would think they were mortal enemies. I can't even count the times that I have wondered where my loving household got off track, but we do try our best. Hopefully our successes will out number our failures!
So, with that in mind I started this little rhyme, if you can even call it that because it doesn't rhyme, with Erin when she was a wee little girl. Now, I say it with all the kids. It's our thing. Shannon somehow adds her own little twists and views on things, and well, this is how this one went down!

Me: I love you.

Shannon: I love you.

Me: I love you more.

Shannon: I love you more.

Me: I love you the most.

Shannon: I love you the most.

Me: I love you forever, and ever, and ever.

Shannon: Me too, I love you never-lasting! (with a big cheesy grin plastered on her face)

Me: (thinking to myself) What, never-lasting, oh well. You can't win 'em all!?

So to all my peeps out there! I love you all never-lasting....whatever that means! :p

No seriously, life is too short to miss opportunities to tell the people in our lives that we love them. Don't run around the grocery store proclaiming your love, like a freak, to every person that crosses your path, but your friends and family should certainly know that you love them! I say it all the time, and when I say it, I really do mean it. So, I'm not trying to cram anything down your sweet little throats, but you ought to give it try, and just see what happens. It gets easier each time you say it. That about raps it up, have a great day and I sure do love ya, especially since most of the peeps reading this blog are my friends and family!

3 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Thanks for loving me. And come to think of it, you usually do end your phone calls with a "love ya". I LOVE YOU TOO!

Debster said...

Thanks Jennifer doodoo poopoo head I love you too!!!

Jenn said...

DDD, you're the ONLY one who has permission to call me that! LOL!