Monday, March 2, 2009

Things could have been worse!

So, as you know from my previous post that I recently injured myself from a graceful icy fall. Today was my follow-up appointment with the Trauma Clinic and the news is good.  While I still have the same three fractures, one in the pelvic bone and two in the spinal sections of L3 and L4, they are healing nicely.  I don't need any further treatments such as physical therapies or surgeries, just time to heal. I should have a complete recovery in 3 to 4 weeks.  Wahoo!  My spinal cord and discs look great with no long term damage of any kind. I just have to pace myself and be smart, difficult assignments for me, but I'm gonna heed wise counsel and behave myself!
This experience was a great reminder to me that miracles happen around us everyday.  I saw the x-rays for the first time today, and well let's just say things could have been completely different if the fractures were in just slightly different locations; a little more to the right, a little higher, a little deeper rather than just a hairline fracture, or if I fell just a little harder. Hard to imagine doing that, falling harder, but I am sure it's possible.  I don't know why things like this happen sometimes, why one person like myself is saved from back surgeries complete with metal pins and lots of physical therapies while others endure chronic back pain with no relief for a variety of reasons. I do know that I feel lucky, and yet to say lucky would be a denial of the blessings and miracles I have received from something so quick and simple as slipping off of my front porch one morning.  God works in mysterious ways!
Through this whole ordeal there was one phrase that I constantly said, "It could be worse!" While this was certainly not any fun, it certainly could have been worse.  Many others have endured far more challenging and painful things than this.  I am happy to have my own trials and hardships.  I know people don't really believe that when they hear people say stuff like that, but wether you believe it or not, it is still the truth!
This post would certainly be incomplete without a HUGE thanks to everyone who has helped me through this adventure.  I have had meals delivered to my home day after day after day, my kids have been cared for, magic cleaning fairies have washed dishes and have done laundry, I've received many phone calls, notes, emails, FB messages, visits, I've been chauffeured to Dr. appointments, given some fabulous reading materials, and lots of prayers have been offered in my behalf from people all over the country.  I couldn't be more grateful, humbled, and loved!  It truly has been a blessing to me and my family!  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

No comments: