Sunday, April 19, 2009

Being Christlike

This morning on my way to church I had one of those experiences that I wish I could have a "do over" on! It happened like this, there was a mini van pulled over to the side of the road, and standing out in front of it was a woman. The woman was frantically waving her arms trying to flag down cars, or A car at least, to pull over and help. When I first saw her I thought I should pull over and help, but then I had the following train of thought run through my head all in just a few seconds, a train of excuses NOT to help. Today is ward conference and there will be tons of visitors, and if I don't hurry I won't get a "good" seat. Heaven knows how LONG it takes me to get myself and the kids ready to be at church on time, much less early, I'm not going to waste all that effort just to be late. What if she is crazy or dangerous? Oh, someone else can stop and help, I'm alone with three kids. I'm sure she needs some kind of mechanical help and I can't do that! Maybe she's out of gas. Doesn't she have a cell phone? Mercy!
I'm embarrassed to say that even though I could have stopped, I didn't. I drove right by. I glanced over as I drove by and saw her expression of disappointment and frustration. Her eyes said to me, "I can't believe you just drove by and didn't stop." She looked defeated. Then the guilt and shame set in, and I decided to take the next exit, turn around, and go back. Just as I was about to exit, I noticed a SUV pull over, so I drove on to church. Now, I can't seem to shake this experience, and the lesson I learned today.
Don't you think it's kind of ironic that I was headed to church to learn to be more Christlike, and I passed on the opportunity to apply the lessons I learn every week about being Christian?! I certainly didn't do what Jesus would have done. I wasn't even like the good samaritan. Now I am wondering how many similar experiences have I missed either by choice or by being so wrapped up in my own little world that I never even noticed that something may have been required of me?! How many times have I missed the opportunity to serve, to express kindness, to be an answer to someone's prayer, to be an instrument in the Lord's hand? I know I can't change the past, but I can do something different the next time. I'm sure there will be a next time. There is always a next time.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Sad to say but probably far too many opportunity to serve. You are not alone on missing these opportunities.