ARRRRGH! Our kids school is a peanut free school which means NO peanuts or "tree" nuts in any food items. Period. No exceptions. I understand the reason why the rule is in place, I have a child with a shellfish allergy, but what a pain in the you know what. In other schools my kids have attended, the peanut allergy kids have their own cafeteria table to make sure what is eaten at their table is safe. I think this is a great plan. This peanut free plan drives me nuts, no pun intented. My kids now think I have committed a major crime if I suggest a peanut butter and honey sandwich for lunch.
Shannon turns 6 tomorrow, and she wants cupcakes to share with her class. I have just wasted two hours of my life trying to find a "peanut free" bakery close to my house. No luck! The school does offer a form for peanut free cookies to celebrate birthdays, but Sissy didn't want "boring cookies", and since the order has to be placed two days in advance, that option is no longer available. I had no idea a "peanut free, non homemade cupcake" would be so hard to find. Now, when Sissy comes home we have to make a new plan. I can't wait to see the bottom lip stuck out far enough to touch the floor, rolling eyes, slumped shoulders, and teary puppy eyes. MERCY!



4 comments:
I know it's crazy huh! it was so hard for me to gather lunches for the kids I nannied when their school went peanut free. I mean even granola bars were off limits. what to do? good luck with your search!
Peanut Free is a pain...especially when you have a picky eater! I use to make Owen a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day to take to day care, that is one of the few things he will eat. Then one day there was a note in his lunch box that nuts weren't allowed anymore. I've had to get really creative trying to find something for him to eat at lunch.
Good luck finding peanut free cupcakes! Can't you just make them at home and make sure you don't include peanuts? I guess it's probably more complicated than that. Everything these days has to be overly complicated.
Jacob would probably starve to death if they had that rule at his school. He is so picky. The ONLY sandwich he will eat is peanutbutter (without jelly).
That rule seems pretty unfair to me. Why deny some other kid their peanutbutter because someone else can't have it? So, they won't allow us to say "God" in schools or eat our peanutbutter... sheesh. What next?
Having a peanut-free table in the lunchroom sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.
Everything must be prepackaged or it has to come from a licensed bakery, and it must include a nutrition/contents label. I would have certainly baked some myself if it were allowed. :/
Post a Comment