Our family uses a dry erase board for daily chores and assignments for the kids. It's a new system we are trying and so far so good. The kids love it, and we love it too because they govern themselves and decide in what order to do their work. When their work is done then they have free time to watch TV, play games, or be on the internet. Most of the time they have plenty of free time to do as they please. But every now and then they drag out their jobs and end up with only time for a bedtime snack and getting ready for bed.
I thought of this dry erase board one day in a fit of desperation. I believe the idea to be an answer to a prayer. I was tired of nagging the kids to get their work done, tired of all the bickering, tired of all the negotiations, and tired of the work not getting done. My "monster mom" persona was hanging around way too often and I was feeling inadequate and guilty for not being a better mom.
Now our house is more peaceful, the kids have a better sense of purpose, our expectations are more clearly defined, and 'monster mom' is on vacation......most of time at least. It's a simple enough plan that I can continue it with little effort and more consistency. It doesn't much matter what the plan is, it matters if you can stick to it or not.
Erin's list the other day made me stop, grab the camera, and snap a picture. I helped to make the arrangements for her to babysit for the very first time. I knew all the details, but to see her first babysitting job added to her list was surreal. My baby babysitting, unbelievable. It was a moment. Not a weepy moment because I've never been one to cry over milestones and such, but a "wow that came faster than I anticipated" moment.
She did a great job, so I heard, and she was mighty proud of that crispy $10 bill she got. She happily showed Bill her money and Bill asked, "Where's mine?" Erin replied, "Dad, this is my money so I get to keep it all. I don't have to give it to anyone. When it's your money you get to keep it all." Bill's response was funny, to me at least...it went right over Erin's head though. He asked, "So, if it's your money, you get to keep it all? If it's my money, I get to keep it all?" Erin thinks for a moment and says, "Yes! That's right." Bill smiles wickedly and nods that he indeed thinks that is a great plan. Erin wondered why he was smiling, but walked away with her $10 in hand thinking that she had just won a little victory with her dad. She'll find out soon enough just how the conversation really turned out when she wants money from Bill. It will be funny, but in the end she always gets what she needs and often gets many of the things she wants too. Luckily her Dad shares his money.




1 comment:
Great idea, Jenn! I'm glad "Monster Mom" has been able to go into retirement, or at least, semi-retirement! Haha!
I know Erin will be a very responsible babysitter.
Yes, I'm sure Bill is waiting for just the right moment! Haha! So many lessons to learn in life!
Post a Comment