Everything is in a name according to Erin. While out running errands the other day Erin and I had a funny conversation about names. She thinks that a name should tell something about a person like what they look like, what their interests and hobbies may be, what the name means or it's definition, where they are from, or something they are good at doing.
After about 1o minutes of discussing names and all of those reasons for selecting a name, I asked what started her on this line of thought. This is a snippet of our conversation.
Erin: "I started to think about this because of Jennifer Lopez."
Me: "Why Jennifer Lopez?"
Erin: "Because what latino names their kid Jennifer?"
Me: "The one who likes the name Jennifer. What does it matter to you? When you have kids, you may name them whatever you want."
Erin: "Well if I were latino, I would name my kid something like Taco or chica. Then everyone would know we were latino."
Me: "Soooooo, let me follow your logic here. Since we are Americans I should have named you kids something that tells everyone we are American. Well, I guess I messed that up. I should have kids named Pizza, Hot Dog, and Cheeseburger."
Well, that ended the conversation right quickly. Although some people may wish that their parents would have chosen a different name for them, I'm not sure very many would want to be called Taco or Girl. Kids are so funny. I'm glad her thoughts evolved into something with more depth and scope. I love that she is thinking and trying to make sense of the world she lives in. I am just a tiny bit nervous as to what my grandchildren's names will be one day. Hahahaha.
(Sorry no pics today. We are working out some computer glitches. Hopefully it's all worked out by tomorrow.)
December stuff
7 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment