He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Family Home Evenings are a great opportunity to teach our children about correct principles. Usually we have a lesson based on the scriptures or the teachings of modern day prophets. Today we talked about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his life, his courage, and his determination. My kids know a lot about Martin Luther King, Jr., most of which they have learned in school. I wanted to apply what they've learned to a spiritual lesson.
There are many directions one can go when starting with Martin Luther King, Jr. and all the history that goes with it. We talked about having the courage to choose the right and about being positive examples especially when it's hard.
We defined courage to mean doing what we know is right even in the face of danger or disapproval. I wish more adults would have the courage of children. Generally speaking kids just say what they think. If they believe something to be wrong, they say so. I love that. We can learn a lot from kids.
Mostly, we talked about the quote above. We talked about standing as a witness of God at all times, and in all things, and in all places, and just exactly what that means. We even laughed about what Dad would have said if he were here with us tonight, "Does it say 'some' times or 'some' things or 'some' places? No, it says 'ALL' times, 'ALL' things, and 'ALL' places." (We miss you, Dad!)
Our choices should be based on what's right or wrong and nothing else. It's not about if you are liked or what others say about you or if what you believe offends someone. We talked about how saying nothing at all, no matter what your intentions or reasons are, can lead people to believe you agree with what is happening or what they are doing. We need to have the courage to let others know where we stand and hopefully to communicate that in a loving, nonjudgmental way. (I think that is often the hardest part.)
We wrapped up the evening watching, "The Help!" I made some chocolate pie, but the kids wouldn't eat any. I wonder why? Just kidding, I didn't make chocolate pie, but that would have been funny. Love that movie. Here's one of my favorite parts:



1 comment:
Wonderful lesson, Jenn! A great reminder for all of us.
Post a Comment