Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Christ Centered Christmas


Our Christmas tree went up the day after Thanksgiving with all of the other Christmas decorations. Erin and Shannon were both anxious to help, so I gave them each a nativity to set up! I told them where to put

them, in separate rooms far away from each other if ya know what I mean, and then off to work they went. I gave them no further instructions other than the location. They were free to display the figures however they wanted.
Sissy finished first. Hers is the one set on the blue tile counter top. As you can see, all people and animals circle the baby Jesus. Everyone has a place. The focus is Christ. I have never seen a nativity displayed that way before, but then again, I have never asked Sissy to set one up before either. It does make perfect sense though. I called Bill over, we talked about Jesus and how the nativity was set, took a picture and that was that.
Next, it was time to see what Erin had done. To my surprise, Erin had done the same thing, a circle around the baby Jesus. Erin explained there wasn't enough room for the angel, but she could see from the loft position in the stable. The animals wouldn't all fit either, but they already know who Jesus is. Hmmm? I grabbed the camera and took another picture.
I have heard it said many times before that our children teach us many lessons. What started out as a simple assignment given to my girls to get them out from under my feet turned into a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. I am humbled to be the student of my children, again. I have decided to leave each nativity displayed as my girls put them. What a powerful and simple way to remember that Jesus should be the central focus of Christmas. There is always room for everyone in the circle, and to quote a phrase from Shannon, "Everyone wants a turn to see. He is Jesus." Yes, yes He is! He is Jesus! Sweet little baby Jesus. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Children sure know how to set their parents' focus straight. What a great reminder as we start the CHRISTmas season! Love you Jenn.

Robin AhPing said...

I stumbled across your story on the internet about your children setting up the nativities and was very moved. I am using it as the theme for our Christmas Enrichment (or whatever we are to call it now) and am starting the evening with your story which will set the tone for our theme "A Crist Centered Christmas." The center peices for the tables will be nativities set up just as your children did. When we read your story i wanted to include the two pictures in your blog of the way the kids set them up. However, the pictures are not very clear when I try to enlarge them. Any way you can email them to me? rahping@yahoo.com activity is on Nov 18. Thanks for the story. What a lesson!!!