I was tagged with this one question, What will you NEVER eat again? There are not too many things that I eat that I don't like, hence the reason I am "fluffy", but when I read this question one food came to my mind immediately, roasted chestnuts! UGH! I remember that experience very well.During the last week of December in 1997 I went on a trip to NYC. This was one of my favorite trips ever. I saw tons of broadway shows, the Radio City Christmas Show, all the Christmas windows, the Rockefeller Ice Rink and tree, NBC studios and the sets of SNL and Rosie, the Empire State Building, The Plaza Hotel, FAO Schwarz, Harlem, the World Trade Centers :(, Grand Central Station, Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty, Time Square, Central Park, and the list goes on. I love NYC. Since it was just after Christmas, maybe they do this year round idk, but there were these little street venders peddling roasted chestnuts. They smelled so good, and I was caught up in the moment and essence of NYC. Melodies of "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" swirled around in my mind and in my memories. I impulsively purchased a little brown paper bag full of fresh, warm roasted chestnuts. It was so cold outside that I instantly thought I was in heaven just holding the heated treats in my hand. I hopped on a "tour" bus, sat next to one of my BFFs Aunts, and popped a roasted chestnut in my mouth. This is when my fantasy dream came to a screeching halt, I instantly realized that I indeed did NOT like roasted chestnuts one little bit. I bravely swallowed the one and only roasted chestnut I will ever eat, and found some crazy person with messed up taste buds to bestow the remainder of my warm chestnuts upon. I know that I will never eat a roasted chestnut again. Now when I hear that Christmas song, I always think GROSS, who wants to roast chestnuts on an open fire anyway.



4 comments:
There's not much that I don't like either. But there is ONE thing I know I will never eat again... Vegamite! I had a co-worker from Australia who said she wanted me to try it. I love ethnic foods, so why not? They say that vegamite to Australians is like peanutbutter to Americans.
Blech! Yuck! Peeeeeyouuuuu! I will never, EVER eat that stuff again!!
Lisa, that was a funny comment. I was laughing pretty hard at your descriptive writings and experience. Thanks for sharing. Love ya Sis!
So this story really made me laught. Since I just returned from NY and saw those same street vendors with Hot roasted chestnut. Guess it's not just a Christmas thing! Ever since I was a little kid they have roasted chestnut at the farm on christmas eve. I always wanted to try one but never did I'm really not sure why but never had the chance. So just as you I've always wondered. While in NY I was tempted many time to buy me a bag of warm nut but never made the purchase. I was feeling a little sad that I had missed the chance but after your story I am so glad I passed by all those stand. Love ya girl!!!
Deb, I am still so sad :( that I missed seeing you in NYC! You are indeed one lucky girl for not eating those chestnuts!!!!!
Post a Comment