Monday, August 25, 2008

Musing on Mondays vol.13

Have you ever wondered where some of the common phrases we say have originated from? I think about stuff like this all the time. I have a list of the little things I hear people say and I wonder to myself, why do we say that? Every Monday I am going to post a phrase and share with you my research as to why we say some of the things we do.

Wet Your Whistle:
If I lived in England many years ago maybe I would know all about the origins of "wet your whistle," but I have never lived in England, come to think of it, I have never even been there for a visit. 
Apparently, if you went to the pub on a regular basis, you may have felt the need to have a special cup made to quench your thirst with little effort.  The cup would have a whistle baked into the handle or rim of the cup.  When your cup or mouth went dry, and your desire for another brewski would arise, then by golly you could just blow your whistle and get a refill.  Wow, and they say that we americans have no manners.  How drunk or lazy to you have to be to whistle for service?  Can one whistle when they are sauced? Things that make you go, hmmmm!

As always, if you have a common phrase that you would like to know what it means, why we say it, and where it comes from, then leave me a comment and I will do the research for you. Happy musing!

No comments: