Saturday, August 30, 2008

Use your imagination...

This may just be one of those post that leaves you thinking, "I guess you had to be there," but for Bill and I it was pretty darn funny. We made another trip to Wal-Mart together as a family, plus a friend of Erin's the other night. It was one of those experiences that turned us into "that family" that maybe should have reconsidered going out in public for some other more "put together" time, but there we were.
If you can imagine what our kids looked like, sorry, I didn't take a picture. Sean had a pink mohawk. Yes, I said PINK and mohawk. The night before he had gotten a hold of the girls' Hannah Montana pink hair stick that I purchased for crazy hair day at school last year. When I confiscated it from him, I thought it would be funny to give him a pink stripe down the middle of his hair and then spike it to a mohawk. It was pretty cute, and well, we had no plans of going anywhere, so what's the harm, right? I could wash it out in the morning. Well, that never happened, and next thing ya know, we were at Wal-Mart with such a stylish do. LOL.
Shannon had on a Cinderella dress-up on, no shoes, and her hair was all mangled. She looked just like a beautiful, well-groomed princess....NOT! I am not sure how it escaped both Bill and I's attention, but it did. She made it from house to car dressed like we were going trick-or-treating instead of shopping.
Erin had on her pajama shirt and her little friend's shorts, that is another story in itself. She too had mangled hair, and a red dot right smack in the middle of her forehead. I guess I can thank myself for that. I let my girls watch the new Cheetah Girl's movie, One World, and it was set in India. Why not go all out to imitate the movie and draw a red dot on your forehead with a marker?
Erin's friend was the only presentable kid in the bunch. She was well-dressed, her hair was brushed, and she has the most adorable dimples when she smiles. One out of four, that isn't bad?
Bill and I, after surveying our motley crew, decided that if anyone asked, we would claim Erin's friend as our own and chalk our kids up to babysitting or something like that. MERCY!!! Of course no one asked, but it certainly didn't help that Sean thought it was his job to wave, and say hi, to every person we saw at Wal-Mart. That only led to people waving backing, coming over to rub their hands on his mohawk, and exclaim, "You are so cute, and look there is a princess in the carriage too!" How funny and embarrassing. I guess every parent has that moment, more that once I am sure, when they look at each other and say, "Well, we could have done that better!"

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, Jenn, you help me to not feel so bad. Today Isabel was wearing a red and brown outfit with pink rain boots and a ponytail that was half falling out! But she was smiling and full of glee as she clomped along in those boots! :)

Jennifer said...

I hope you got a picture of the pink mohawk hidden somewhere for the future it was awfully cute.

Thankyou for taking my child to Wal Mart when she was looking presentable so that the employees there could see that she can comb her hair :)