Burning the Candle at Both Ends:
This phrase has somewhat been replaced these days with the phrase "burned out"! When you are doing so many things, whether work or play, and you are exhausted then you may feel like you are "burning the candle at both ends" or that you are "burned out"!!! I found several explanations as to why say this phrase. I liked them all, so I thought I would include each. First, if you get up early then you are lighting your candle, and if work or play all day and then stay up late, then you are lighting the other end of your candle. I am guilty of this. My Papa Blackie always went to bed early, I mean really early. He would always quote an old proverb from Benjamin Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac that said, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise!" While this may be true, and I have my doubts, I have never seen the beauty of going to bed at 5 PM or so, and then rising at 4 AM. Sorry, Papa, but that life is not for me.
Now the second theory, back in the days of no electricity people would burn candles for light. Apparently, when you would have a visitor stop by that you didn't want to linger around for long periods of time, you would light the candle at both ends. I guess when the candle burned out, then it was time for your guests to go home. I am not sure that I buy this one or not. If that was common practice, wouldn't your guest notice the candle burning at both ends? You might as well just tell them to hit the road, whatever that really means, and get on with your life.
Finally, the last theory I came across. Back to the days of no electricity again. Sometimes clerks would be required to work late nights. The light of a single candle was not always bright enough, so the clerk would light both ends to see better. I guess there was no supply closet with extra candles. This would give them more light, but of course it would cut the burn time in half. The clerk would need to work harder and faster, thus wearing himself out more quickly in the process.
So there you have it. Who knows which is more accurate, but some seem to be more logical than others.
As always, if you have a common phrase that you would like to know what it means, why we say it, and where it comes from, then leave me a comment and I will do the research for you. Happy musing!



No comments:
Post a Comment