I read with great amusement "Post limit at 60" by Kevin McGrath. So, Kevin, you would like the government to take away my husband's driver's license and his Corvette now that he is 60. He was hoping to have a few more years of fun.
I guess this means no more high-speed police chases by the elderly Harrison Ford. Do you want his pilot's license and airplane too? Paul Newman at the age of 78 is still racing competitively. I sure hope he has a chauffeur to drive him to his racing competitions. Certainly, Mick Jagger, who turns 60 in a few days, can't be trusted behind the wheel anymore either. I don't know about you, but I do not want to be the one to ask "The Terminator" (Arnold Schwarzenegger) for his car keys in five years.
It seems to me that you want to put all people age 60 or above out to pasture without even our vehicles to get us there.
Guess I better go pack. But first, let me call a taxi.
Barbara Dermody
Very well spoken, I must add. While I still hold to my original post of "old" people should not drive, I should clarify that to SOME old people should not drive. Certainly nothing should be done that would revoke the privileges of those who are entirely capable of, and enjoying their driving privileges, regardless of their age.
Case in point...Here is Bill's Dad, Chuck, enjoying some quality time behind the wheel in a "woe baby look at that car, Porche Boxster!" I think he is 60, but just barely!!! LOL. Way to go, Grandpa!



2 comments:
My Dad is sure one hot tamale...
Come to think of it, Mom is too...
I have to say, my dad is, without a doubt, one of the safest drivers I know.
I also remember a few years ago, he out-ran one of my kids in a foot race. She was quite a fast runner and she was left to eat his dust. (Remember that, Dad?) I think he was in his mid-50's at the time. He's pretty amazing. I sure hope those genes keep me going for awhile too!
I loved Barbara's response.
And I admit to wavering between which side to take....old people behind the wheel or old people not behind the wheel. It is tough. I actually am thinking we should only let considerate people drive. How could we test that?
Can you hear the people exclaiming after their driver's test. "I aced the multiple choice but I failed the considerate section so I have to retake it after I figure out how to be considerate." :)
Post a Comment