Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm collecting!

Awareness Ribbons Customized - ImageChef.com I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, stressed, and frustrated. I finally got into see my new rheumatologist this past week. I like him. He is different than other doctors I have seen before. He takes a well-rounded approach to medicine and addressed body, mind, and spirit. At one point, it kinda felt like I was having a tarot card reading; that was weird. At any rate, this doctor has the best communication skills I have ever seen in a doc before. He even gave me the name of a book to purchase and read before I come back. Hum, a reading assignment. I never had one of those from a doc before. I like him well enough to see him again, in 6 weeks, but I will reserve my final decision for later as to if I will stay with him or find a new rheumatologist. After all, this is the guy who will help me stay healthy enough to raise my babies and grow old with my hubby.
Now, about the collecting point, I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Sjogren's syndrome. Wahoo! Neither one was a huge surprise, many people who have lupus also have other autoimmune diseases and such. I have tested positive for Sjogren's(show-grin's) syndrome for over ten years now, but I have just presented with symptoms in the last six months. It is also an autoimmune disease attacking the moisture producing glands in your body. Things you never notice until your body doesn't automatically do it for you anymore. Example, try swallowing your food without enough saliva. Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain of muscles and tendons/fatigue disease. Lovely!
Nothing really changes for me, except for I have new meds. Honestly, I haven't started to take some of them yet. They scare me. I'll come around in a day or two though. I am having a hard time with the meds I am taking now! Mercy. When I first started this blog it was never my intention to blog about lupus or now fibromyalgia and Sjogren's syndrome, but it is a part of our lives. It effects us everyday. My biggest challenge is doing things that I know I shouldn't do or pushing myself too far, for my kids to have a happy childhood and fun experiences. If I wait until I "feel" well enough to go to the park, swimming, or whatever it may be, then we would never do those things. It is a delicate, frustrating balance. One day at a time.
I hope to educate others and give you a true glimpse into our lives. Some people are just finding out about our struggles. One lady in our ward, upon recently discovering I had a chronic disease, was surprised. That was a bittersweet moment of conversation for me. I am glad that she didn't know because it made me feel normal, whatever normal is anyway. On the other hand, I think more people need to know. We all have our battles. We are all a work in progress. We can all learn from each other, and strengthen each other.
They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Today, I feel like I have more lemons than I need or want, but tomorrow is a new day. Maybe I need to reinvent my thinking and have some lemon pie too!

3 comments:

Kelly Tillotson said...

im sorry to hear about all of this--my older sister jessie has fibro, hypothyroid...just to name a few. since she started taking medicine she has been doing a lot better. i hope you have good luck with them all. your ward sisters love you!

Natalie said...

WOW Jenn - I had no idea. We sure will keep you in our prayers that things will go smoothly! My sister was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last year. We thought she had lupus or rumatoid arthritus. It was hard to know how to help. Turns out it was somehthing different because of her last pregnancy. Anyway - if you need any LEMON RECIPES :) let me know - I've had to collect a few myself. I quote I have clung to many times is "Worse things have happened to better people" Somehow that keeps my in perspective when it all seems too much to manage. Know that I'll be thinking of ya :)

Brownie Bites said...

Jenn - what is up with the autoimmune stuff? Hope the meds help. I know they come with their own side effects. I'm thinking of you always!!!