
The kids, minus Erin who was at art class, a few friends and I went raspberry picking yesterday. I loved it! My kids have different opinions for sure. Sean liked to pick the berry off the plant and then squeeze them until they were totally pulverized in his little hands. That was messy. Shannon was, as usual, hot and bothered that we were out in the patch and she was ready to leave after about ten minutes. Oh joy!

I have to say that the little lady who was working the patch was so funny and interesting to me. She was elderly and wheelchair bound. She had some spunk and personality. The one thing, there were a few, that I found most amusing was this air horn she had. You know the kind you get at the store in a can. I have used them myself at football games and such. Boy, the are LOUD! She informed me that if she blew the air horn that it meant bear had been spotted in the area. Bears, oh my! I guessed this happened often, from what she said. They like to eat the berries.

After being their for a short while, I heard the air horn blow. Bears? I made my way down to this lady and asked, "What does the air horn mean again?" She replied, in her distinctive voice, "It means there is a bear around or that I need my husband." "Oh", I said, " Do you need your husband or is a bear nearby?" She looked at me with an expression that had "city slicker" written all over it and said, "I need my husband!" I thought to myself that surely two different alarms could be sounded for two different creatures, husbands or bears. Things that make you go hmmm!
We had a good time. I enjoyed it way more than my two little ones did, who ended up waiting for me in the van. I got 4 pints at $3 each, and they were soooo yummy! I am going to make raspberry shakes; just like the ones you get up at Bear Lake in Utah! Ahhh, summertime!
3 comments:
Yummy! My mom use to make us go pick rasberries every summer at our neighbor's house. I think we ate more than we picked....so we were always there a long time!
Oh my goodness! Raspberry shakes! I remember we did that when Nadya was about 2 years old! We lived lived in Bountiful and we drove to Bear Lake and had the most amazing raspberry shakes ever!
Are husbands and bears different??
Post a Comment