Have you ever wondered where some of the common phrases we say have originated from? I think about stuff like this all the time. I have a list of the little things I hear people say and I wonder to myself, why do we say that? Every Monday I am going to post a phrase and share with you my research as to why we say some of the things we do.
Spill the Beans:
If you accidently "spill the beans" then you have just revealed a hidden truth or secret. Anciently, in Greece, voting was done with beans. If you cast a vote with a white bean it was a yes; a brown or black bean, it was a no. The beans must have been held in some type of jar or container that would hide the voting results from everyone expect for the counting officials. From time to time a clumsy voter would accidently "spill the beans" revealing their secrets about the election or proposal. Now, the phrase applies to more than voting results. Although, perhaps, some would believe it could have been more reliable than current voting methods used in recent presidential elections. LOL!
(I know this is a picture of jellybeans, but my kids love them and they are more colorful and fun!)
As always, if you have a common phrase that you would like to know what it means, why we say it, and where it comes from, then leave me a comment and I will do the research for you. Happy musing!
2 comments:
Very interesting!
Also, Isabel thinks it's funny when I say, "You sound like you have a frog in your throat." Any idea where that came from?
What about "nip it in the bud"? I love that you do all the work to find these things out for us...
Post a Comment