According to the baby experts, the appointed time to take away Sean's bottles came and went a few months ago. The first attempt to get him off the bottle, at 12 months old, left us all-mom, dad, and baby alike in a frustrated state of chaos. Sean cried for 2 days and then refused to eat. Call us weak, but we gave him back his bottle. Who cares what "they" think is the right time for our baby to be off the bottle.
However, realizing that the kid can't be on a bottle forever, we decided it was time to try again. Our original plan was to start our bottle-free life on Monday morning, but when Sean woke up in the wee hours of the morning, Bill and I made an executive decision to go for more sleep, and convenience, and start Tuesday instead. Our little caboose (that is what we call Sean because he is the last of our "kid" train) did amazingly well. So there is no temptation, for mom and dad, to go back to the ease of bottles, the bottles are all packed away now. Our bottle days are over!
Last night Bill said to me, "Where is Sean? He is being so quiet!" A quiet baby usually means trouble, so Bill went in search of our ever curious ball of energy. Sean was standing on the bathroom stool bushing his own teeth. What a big boy, not big enough to reach his own toothbrush, but the one Shannon didn't put away worked just fine!
I guess when the time is right, kids just naturally move on to the next phase of growing up. Although I am grateful to move beyond bottle-feeding, a part of me will miss it too. I do know that I won't miss it enough to have another baby though!



1 comment:
Congratulations! He is so cute brushing his teeth. Too much, too fast.
Post a Comment