Friday, May 23, 2008

"Tick"achusetts

Several days ago I listed the animals that we have had the privilege of sighting, I forgot to mention
the itsy bitsy teeny weeny tick! These small pests are everywhere and we have already had five tick incidents. Shannon is the reigning queen of tick bites with a whopping three bites, while Erin is closing in with two of her own. I guess I will have to spray my kids with the ever-healthy DEET chemical before I let them outside to play again. Why is it that all bug repellents smell so bad?
We discovered Erin's latest tick bite yesterday. Mercy, enough already, is the best way I can think of to decribe the drama! You would think that tick removal is a sibling to limb amputation, without anethesia, by all the screaming of petrified kids during the relatively quick process of pulling the dang bugger out. I did take Erin into the doc's office because part, usually the head, was still stuck in her skin and a red, rash-like, circle was starting to form. The doctor did a quick extraction and would you know that Erin never made on peep or whimper during the process. Could this be the same kid from a couple hours earlier? What's up with that? She is recovering from the whole ordeal, mostly the mental battle and phobia of ticks, and we are watching for the next four weeks for signs of lyme disease. I am sure she will be fine, but I would rather err on the side of caution.
Since information is power, I am including a link, TICK BITES, from the website kidshealth.org. I am sorry if I have grossed you out with all the chat about ticks, complete with graphics. Let's just face it, most of the time being a mom isn't all bon bons and pedicures. This is part of the real picture of raising kids!

1 comment:

another day in the life of... said...

Yuck! Your poor girls... It is funny though that Erin was so good for the Doctor. Wouldn't you know it!