Sunday, May 18, 2008

We've been ambushed!


NEWS FLASH:
Last night the bears, or maybe just one, found their way to our house! Oh no! Details to follow.....stay tuned, we have to go to church first! There were no injuries BTW! So, no worries. We are all safe!
We woke up this morning to find trash strewn all over our yard. Both trash cans were knocked over and now one trash can is concave and scratched. I went out to inspect the damage and I found a bear print! We have heard rumors of bears in the area, but I just thought it was folklore. I guess I should have known it was true since we hear coyotes passing through our yard periodically, in the middle of the night. We are in no shortage of wildlife here. Between the bear(s) and coyotes we have seen lots of deer, wild turkey, squirrels, chipmunks, and a variety of other small animals. As long as we never see a snake, I will be just fine living here in the wilderness. The kids love all the animal sightings, but they are not looking forward to the massive clean up we still need to do today thanks to our most recent visitors. Erin even tried the ol' "but it is Sunday mom and we don't work on Sunday" trick to avoid having to help pick up the trash. Oh, how quickly she has forgotten her "keep the earth clean/don't litter" campaign. For now, the rain has delayed our big, unexpected, task of the day.
I did take pictures with my cell phone, but I have no idea how to get the darn pictures off the phone and onto my computer. Normally, I would figure it out, but my brain is too tired to think that hard. Bill has my camera at the NRA show, where he always runs into someone famous. I think I heard some rumblings about Matt Hughes, a big-time UFC champion, being captured on my camera. Maybe the deacons in our ward will be excited about that; I think we need to have his and hers cameras-for moments just like this.

3 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Bears...wow!!! You are a brave woman facing the unpredictable wilderness. Let me get this straight. Bears roaming your yard, you are husbandless at the moment and when you do pick up the mess it will be soggy from the rain. May the force be with you!

another day in the life of... said...

Wow! Remind me to tell you our bear story. You are brave... I think I would be tempted to kick all the garbage into a corner and let hubby clean it when he got home! :)

Jennifer said...

drat...how come our only wildlife sighting has been a darn tick?