Have you ever wondered where some of the common phrases we say have originated from? I think about stuff like this all the time. I have a list of the little things I hear people say and I wonder to myself, why do we say that? Every Monday I am going to post a phrase and share with you my research as to why we say some of the things we do.Holding down the fort:
The meaning of this phrase is commonly known and used by many. Just for a refresher of our memories, it means to manage, watch over, take responsibility for, and defend a fort, castle, or home- usually at times of crisis, until the commanding officer/owner returns or the crisis passes. That is pretty straight forward.
Now, for my history buffs, back during the times of the American Civil War, in October 1864, was the Battle of the Altoona Pass located near Atlanta, GA. General Sherman sent Commander John Corse, with the 4th Division, Fifteenth Corps, and around 2,000 men (the numbers vary from one account to another) to defend the Altoona Pass because it held roughly a million and a half rations.

The Confederates wanted this pass to attempt to sever Union communications. The battle raged with about 6,000 Confederate men (again, numbers vary) against the 2,000 Union men for control over the pass. Even though Commander John Corse lost a third of his men, and a third of his ear, he was successful in securing the Altoona Pass on Oct 5, 1864. John Corse was also brevetted a major general on this date.
As for the saying "hold the fort," it was reported by the American Civil War newspapers, and others, that General Sherman sent a note to Commander John Corse which said, "Hold the fort; I am coming. WT Sherman." The battle was won before General Sherman arrived and ironically Sherman denies ever sending the note. If this, meaning the note, is just folklore or a factual account of what truly happened is questionable. What is commonly held as true is that the saying "hold the fort" took it's place in history as a popular saying because of the battle for the Altoona Pass.
As always, if you have a common phrase that you would like to know what it means, why we say it, and where it comes from, then leave me a comment and I will do the research for you. Happy musing!
( Commander John Corse is pictured top right, while General Sherman is pictured bottom right.)



No comments:
Post a Comment