Thursday, June 19, 2008

Through Sissy's eyes!


Topic: Death

Sissy is obsessed with death.  The wheels in her little head are just a turnin' and burnin' trying to figure it all out.  It is kinda funny to be a spectator on how a 5 year old views the world.  Here is an example of a conversation with Shan about death. We have had this same conversation, with very little deviation, every time we drive by the 
cemetery.  I love to pick her brain, and unlock her thoughts.

Sissy: "Hey Mom, there's that place you go to die."  

Me:  "Oh, really.  Don't you mean when you die, instead of to die?"

Sissy: "No Mom, I mean to die.  I already tell you that eighty fifteen times."

Me:  "Well, how come every time we drive by there, I never see anyone there?"

Sissy:  (rolling eyes here)  "That is because no one is dying today and besides you just don't see them."

Me:  "Oh, my bad, how do you know when you are suppose to go there then? How do you know when you are going to die?"

Sissy:  "You just know when to go; when you get old and crinkly like Granny." (My Granny is the only person that Sissy knows who has passed away. That was in October '06, so it has been a while.  She was 75.  We moved her to Illinois, from Louisiana, to take care of her for the last year and a half of her life.)

Me:  "Let me see if I understand, only old people die?"

Sissy:  (rolling eyes again and frustrated that I am so dumb) "Yes Mom, how many times do I have to tell you? (I wonder where she got that from?) Don't worry though Mom, Dad is gonna die first because he is the oldest in our family; he is like ninety twenty three."

Me:  "So, after Dad, then is it my turn to go there?  How come I have to go next?  What if I don't want to go?"

Sissy:  (after thinking for a few seconds)  "Well, I can't go next because I don't know how to drive!  How am I suppose to get there if I can't drive?"

Me:  "Of course dear, thanks for explaining it to me.  Again.  How silly of me to forget that you can't drive?!" 

I think I will leave the conversation here for a while.  She is only 5, and I will let her rest easy, thinking that all is well in her little world. She doesn't need to know that anyone can die at anytime yet.  I am hoping we all live really long lives together. Bring on the crinkles baby!

2 comments:

another day in the life of... said...

Ethan also talks about dying a lot. He was thrilled when he learned that we are resurrected and we can't die again. Now he and Eli have little conversations about only getting dead once!

Jennifer said...

ahhh to be a kid again and think about things so logically and simply :)