Sunday, June 8, 2008

Ruffed Grouse-Part 2

Although we had another encounter on Friday with our new feathered friend, it was fairly uneventful. We all stayed inside and watched it from beyond the safety of our screen door. Bill wanted a video of it, but by the time we changed the tape and charged the battery, the grouse had gone back into the woods.
Saturday afternoon Bill and I went out, and left the kids and two of their friends with a babysitter. We told our babysitter about our crazy bird, among other things, and left. What are the chances that there would be a problem with the bird while we were away?! Expect the unexpected, I told you I haven't learned that lesson yet!
The grouse made another appearance, it chased the two five year olds and so the battle began. Our babysitter, whom we love, kept her cool and did the only thing I have found that works with the crazed bird, hitting it with sticks/brooms and throwing things at it, like rocks. The bird finally left. Erin and Tatiana patrolled the yard with a hoe and a stick just in case it came back. They were surely brave. I refuse to leave the comfort of my own home when the bird is on the prowl.
Bill is now on a mission to find the nest and try to relocate the grouse. He immediately went into the woods when we returned home on Saturday evening. He found the ol' bird perched on a branch. Bill armed himself with a stick and continued to search for the nest while the grouse watched. Once the grouse realized that Bill was going to hang around for a while, it flared it's tail feathers at Bill and the confrontation began. No lie, about twenty wallops later to it's tiny little noggin and one good hard thump, with the stick, the dazed bird flew off.
It is all out war now. The Dermody family versus the grouse. You want my opinion on how it all will end, just read a little further:

Grouse with Ginger
Ingredients:
1/2 lb Grouse Breast
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp Fresh Ginger
1/4 tsp Dried Red Pepper
2 tbsp Olive Oil

Directions:
Bone out and skin grouse breast and cut in thin strips across the grain. Cook garlic, ginger and red pepper in a skillet over medium heat until garlic is tender. Turn up heat and flash-fry grouse strips in ginger mixture until done but not over cooked. Pheasant, duck, goose or wild turkey may be substituted for grouse. Serve with a nice French bread, cheese and your favorite red wine or some other mormon concoction.
(Top left picture of Erin on grouse patrol after church today. I think she looks cute in her dress marching around the yard with a hoe! See that serious "I am on a mission" look on her face. That's our girl!)

4 comments:

another day in the life of... said...

Sounds yummy! I bet you could make a great shishkabob out of grouse too. Keep us all posted.

Brownie Bites said...

Erin is so cute doing patrol duty in her church dress. I love it. What I really would have liked to see is the confrontation between Bill and the grouse. Good luck with that darn fowl.

Grandpa said...

So next time you tell the kids to "quit grousing about it", the words will take on a whole new dimension. Now, there's an item for your Monday Morning Missive.

Jennifer said...

I would be happy to provide the salad for the grouse feast:)