Have you ever wondered where some of the common phrases we say have originated from? I think about stuff like this all the time. I have a list of the little things I hear people say and I wonder to myself, why do we say that? Every Monday I am going to post a phrase and share with you my research as to why we say some of the things we do.Your work cut out for you
You've got "your work cut out for you" means that you have a big, time-consuming job ahead of yourself. Many believe the saying comes from sewing. After you do the easy part of cutting out your pattern, then it was said that you have your work cut out for you, the actual sewing part. It sounds right to me, although I can use a pair of scissors the whole sewing part eludes me. I need to discover my inner sewing diva, maybe I'll start when I have time to get around to it! It sounds like about as much fun as scrubbing toilets, not to disrespect my friends and family members who consider sewing to be the cat's meow!
As always, if you have a common phrase that you would like to know what it means, why we say it, and where it comes from, then leave me a comment and I will do the research for you. Happy musing!



2 comments:
Awesome! Thanks for that, I never would have known but it does make sense.
I guess you don't realize how many little comments you make that have such interesting meanings. Thanks for making me feel a little smarter today :)
Post a Comment